Saving Money on Travel

9.17.2013

In my "What Not to Say to the Unemployed PostGrad" post, I mentioned an application I did recently that required a lengthy audition process, including two presentations, one of which I had to create my own. Since I was in the midst of making travel plans of my own and with friends, I did a piece on travel and saving money, naturally. I'm sharing these five tried-and true tips today because who doesn't want to travel more and save money in the process and because as they say, "travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer."

Plan Ahead. As with any big purchase, when it comes to travel, it's especially important to plan ahead. Planning ahead not just gives you ample time to consider your budget and your destination, but it also ensures that you get the best deal on hotel and airfare. In addition, early planning gives you enough time to research your destination, which you may find you much prefer to visit in the off-season when it is less crowded and considerably cheaper in price.


Utilize Social Media. There's no denying how popular social media is nowadays with "likes" and hashtags everywhere from television to the doctors office. Social media outlets such as Facebook and Twitter are great ways to stay up-to-date on flash sales from airlines, cruise lines, and more. JetBlue is notorious on both Facebook and Twitter for their "cheep deals" with one-way fares sometimes as low as $49.



Cash in on Credit and Debit Reward Points. It often feels like the plastic in our wallets hurts us more than it helps, but when it comes to booking a trip, it can definitely help. Most debit and credit card companies offer free reward programs that can earn you points on the most basic, everyday purchases. Accumulate enough points and they can be redeemed for airfare, hotel, and more, saving you money by lowering your out-of-pocket expenses even more.
 
Skip the Hotel. Where to stay at your destination can surely make or break the travel experience. So
why not consider skipping the hotel and renting a room, apartment, even a home from a site like AirBnB.com instead? The overall savings can be used for other fun activities, and the experience of living like a local for a few days will surely make for some unforgettable travel memories. (This is my plan for Paris!)


Consider a Cruise. It's no secret that I absolutely LOVE cruising, and if you need examples, you can look here, here, and hereI may be a bit biased in my opinion, but I truly believe that a cruise is a great way to see a number of locations without having to pay more for additional hotel or airfare. With almost all of the amenities covered in the cost, and so much to do onboard and in port, taking a cruise truly does offer the most value for your money. (Again, not a biased opinion!) 


I've shared mine, now tell me some of yours? What are some tricks you've used to save money on a trip?

No comments :

Post a Comment