Summer Travel

4.30.2013

Is it too early to be thinking about summer travel? I hope not because it is all I can think about at the moment. There are so many things I love about summer and travel is definitely one of them. 

While I would normally be in midst of planning some sort of trip for the season, things are a bit different this year. As hard as it is for me to admit, this is still my situation, and as much as I would love to be prepping for a cruise or other weeklong destination vacation, right now, the chances of that happening are slim to none. Instead, this summer will be all about day trips and weekend getaways that are close to home and satisfying to my wanderlusting soul.

L-R: Maine, Cape Cod, Long Island Wine Country, Montauk
Since my sister lives in Maine, this one is a no brainer. Besides the scenic views, and shopping at L.L. Bean, what I am most excited about for this trip is the food!  As "the foodiest small town in America," you better believe I want in! Bring on the good eats, and of course, lobster.

When I think of the quintessential summer destination, Cape Cod is usually the first place I think of. Since I didn't get to make it up there last year , I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can make it happen this year. Sun, sand, and Sperry's. 

Staying close to home, visiting the wineries on Long Island is also on my list. It wasn't until a few summers ago did I even realize that LI even had it's own little wine country to begin with! What better way to spend a summers day than with a delicious wine and a cheese platter? 
FUN FACT: One of the wines served at the Inauguration luncheon this past year was from a LI winery! 

Also on Long Island and on my list is Montauk. While many go for the weekend, Montauk is one of my favorite places to go for a fun-filled day trip since it's so easily accessible by car (and even train!).

Where are you headed or looking to go this summer? What are some of your favorite destinations that are close to home?

8 comments :

  1. Our summer plans sound so similar! I spent childhood summers at the Cape, and while I don't have plans to go up this summer (no vacation days left, wah), it's still so close to my heart. I'm spending a week camping with college friends in Montauk this summer and I cannot WAIT. I hear it's gorgeous (I've never been!) and the group is going to be a blast. Plus, I've always wanted to go camping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camping is SO much fun! I haen't gone in awhile, but it's the best, especially with a great group of people. You are going to LOVE Montauk! I am almost certain of it.

      Delete
  2. I'm broke so I probably won't be going anywhere too fun! Maybe a few beach weekends- all of my friends live far apart and are too busy, so it's SO hard to get together! And my bf hates the beach. Ugh! haha so I will live vicariously through your adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the beach! Why does your bf hate it!?! Maybe this summer you can change his mind!

      Delete
  3. Um well I'm very jealous that you have so many amazing vacation destinations near you! My options are pretty limited here in the good old Midwest...but I'm hoping to make at least one roadtrip...probably Chicago or Nashville. As well as a few other trips that involve a plane ticket. Summer travel is definitely something I look forward to! Even now that I'm not in school and don't have the Summer off...it only seems natural to take weekend trips and use up some of my PTO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally still in that school mindset of summer=vacay. A roadtrip sounds like SO much fun! Both Chicago and Nashville sound like great potential picks.

      Delete
  4. I'd love to do some traveling this summer! Of course I have nothing planned, and wish I could plan something extravagant. My sister wants to go on a road trip to toronto, but I'll have to consume the financial burden for that to happen...

    cape cod would be great - I'll be going there in June, but for work, rather than pleasure.

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the great thing about summer, it's spontaneous! I'm sure you will think of some fab destinations in no time. TO sounds like a great trip, granted it won't be too costly. Hopefully you will get some time in the Cape for some fun! It' just doesn't seem right not to!

      Delete