Goat Cheese Croquettes

9.13.2013

When I went to Rhode Island last month, I had no idea of the reputation Providence had as being a destination for food. I was really expecting seafood, seafood, and more seafood, so I was quickly excited about what else PVD had to offer. As I did in Maine, Google and Yelp searches were my friend in picking dinner spots, and again, they did not disappoint.

Dinner on the last night in RI was at a little out-of-the-way place called CAV, where we had an amazing evening of drinks and dinner.  The whole meal from start to finish was excellent, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would definitely have to be the appetizer I had: goat cheese croquettes with a balsamic reduction. There are times when a meal had out must be recreated, and this was surely one of them. How hard could it be?


More like how easy could it be? There are some foods that definitely get better when fried, and while goat cheese didn't immediately come to mind for me, after having it, it makes sense. Crispy on the outside, soft and creamy on the inside, these croquettes are really too good. I could see them being great as an hor d'oeuvres for a dinner party, in a salad, or as a side to a steak. But of course, you can't go wrong having them as an appetizer, on their own or with a balsamic reduction. Feel free to go all Jackson Pollack on your plate; the more balsamic, the better.

I did make these Paleo/gluten-free, but if you want a non-paleo version fear not! I have a recipe for you right here

Goat Cheese Croquettes
printable recipe here

4 ounces goat cheese
2 tablespoons tapioca starch
4 tablespoons almond flour plus dried herb, salt and pepper, to season
1 egg, beaten
Oil for frying

Begin by cutting the goat cheese into desired size and rolling into balls.

Dredge the goat cheese very well in the tapioca flour and set aside.

Coat the dredged goat cheese in the egg and then roll in the almond flour until fully coated. (Any visible goat cheese should be recoated, or else it will leak out into the oil when fried.)

Over medium-high heat, allow the oil to get to frying temperature. Gently drop each croquette into the oil and fry until golden brown. Remove the croquettes from the oil and drain on paper towel. Cool slightly and serve immediately.

No comments :

Post a Comment