Bathing Suit Season | Part 1

6.06.2013

There's no denying it now: swimsuit season is here. The weather is warming up, trips to the beach are being planned, and shopping for seasonally appropriate clothes is taking place. Another thing that's floating around right now is an insane amount of crash dieting and extreme fitness plans to "get skinny for summer." Seeing firsthand what some are doing, (and encouraging others to do) in order to achieve that "bikini body," is nothing short of frightening.

I know the sheer terror that this season can bring about, and I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to tone up or reduce some jiggle where one sees fit. It's the nature of the summer season, and when you look good, you feel good. But when these extreme measures involve endless work outs while eating no more than 500 to 1,000 calories a day to achieve some ideal that is mostly likely only attained through Photoshop, there needs to be cause for concern. It's way too easy for these drastic measures to lead to something more serious, including eating disorders.

They say the most important thing you can wear is confidence, and when it comes to a swimsuit, that's definitely the case. For years, I was less than confident in swimwear, and I'll never forget the summer I started wearing shorts with my swimsuit at camp because my friend felt her thighs were too big (they weren't). Since I was bigger than her, I felt that I should do the same, not even considering the fact that I was at least six inches taller than her and "fit" from playing volleyball. It wasn't until three years ago that I finally dropped the insecurity (and extra clothing) and began to accept my body for what it was. Now, instead of focusing on my "flaws," I embrace my "assets" and shop for swimsuits the same way I would a dress for a special occasion, focusing on detail and fit. Again, when you look good, you feel good, and shopping for suits this way helps me to do just that. Instead of worrying about what I think my body looks like, I have more energy to spend enjoying myself and whatever I'm doing, like not falling off a jet ski in the deep waters of the Atlantic (true story).

While I feel so much better about my body now, I know I'll need a reminder at some point to not put pressure on myself to feel any sort of way. If you feel that way at any point this summer, do what I do: direct that energy elsewhere and focus on putting that pressure on your blender. Margaritas, anyone?



I'm stepping off my soapbox now. I'll have some of my favorite swimsuits for this summer up later today. xx

6 comments :

  1. I love this post–and your honestly, Alyssa! I really don't think there isn't a girl on this planet that doesn't get even the slightly bit self-concious in a swim suit...it's only natural! I make an effort to eat healthier and workout more when I know swim season is coming up, but I totally agree about not going to extremes–it's unhealthy, and ultimately it actually harms your body more than a few extra pounds would. BIG no no!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I mean, the strain it puts on a persons heart is quite scary! Glad you are practical about your "summer body!" :)

      Delete
  2. Love this post! I'm a skinny girl naturally, so a lot of bathing suits don't fit me because they are made for women with big butts and hips. I always get nervous in front of people because I worry they stare at me and make comments about how I need to eat a sandwich. In reality, I'm just petite! I try to tone up a bit to bulk up my arms and legs for bikini season, but that's about it. Last year I actually wore shorts and a tank top over my bikini when I was at a public event and I look back at that and wish I had the confidence to just go without the cover-ups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are honestly just rude! And quite frankly, those comments are fueled by nothing more than jealousy and insecurity. Don't let them win! At least this year you will remember last year, and leave the cover-ups at home :)

      Delete
  3. Love this post! I think all girls can relate in some way. Summer is definitely a great time to get in better shape - I always feel a little extra motivation, plus the heat curbs my appetite and I don't crave carby comfort foods ;) However...I also think Summer should be carefree. It's all about balancing being healthy while not stressing! And you're totally right....confidence is everything. Can't wait for Part 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree that it is relatable to every woman. And if they say it doesn't they are lying! I agree about summer heat being an appetite suppressant...until night time hits and all I want is ice cream!

      Delete