Scones

5.17.2011

When I was growing up, the only scones I ever remember having were from (the now sadly closed) Yura Bakery on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. When I was of age, and allowed to take my self to camp, I would meet my friend Emily at home and we would walk together to the Y. Every morning, we would pass by Yura and the smell of all the fresh baked goodness was truly intoxicating (as intoxicating as 12 year olds would know). On days we had special late or overnight trips, we would make a special trip to Yura, and get chocolate chip scones for the special day. (When I got older, Yura was on the same block as my weekly Weight Watchers meeting. I never had enough points.)

Being that I look for any occasion to try a new recipe, when the Royal Wedding rolled around, I decided to give scones a try to add something new to my baking repertoire

 Scones are high maintenance. They need to rest for 10 minutes before being baked.

I used this recipe and really liked the way the scones came out. There were two things in particular that I really liked about this recipe. For starters, I thought they would be difficult to make, but they turned out to be really easy. To make things even easier, I used the food processor with the dough blade. 

The other thing I liked about this recipe is that it is quite adaptable. For the first batch I made for the Royal Wedding, I used raisins and orange essence. With the batch seen in the pictures, I used orange essence again and chocolate chips. I think pretty much whatever your heart desires, whether it be strawberries, blueberries or almonds, the scones will come out great. 

Oh, there is one more thing I really like about this recipe. Less than an hour between prep, baking, and cleanup. My kind of recipe.

8 comments :

  1. Nice! Those sound and look quite yummy. I remember making scones in elementary school once. I have a recipe for pumpkin and cranberry scones (two of my absolute favorite flavors!) They are super yummy!!! 

    ReplyDelete
  2.  They look delicious! I've never made scones before, but I bet the kitchen smelled incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3.  I loove scones!

    http://seven-inch-stilettos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had a scone before, but your really making me want one. I love that it's got chocolate chips in it,  I'm basically SOLD :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMMM yes! You can never go wrong with pumpkin and cranberry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It definitely did :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me too:) And now my whole family does too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are so easy to make! And chocolate chips make everything perfect!

    ReplyDelete